Mini sessions are scheduled 1-2 times a year, Spring & Fall! Below are commonly asked questions that will help you better understand the process.
How many subjects per session?
Generally, I allow up to 5 family members (including small children or pets). However, suppose you would like to add more members, which takes more time and coordination; it is a $10 fee per additional member. Just remember that if additional members are added, there will be limited time to get different poses with all the members. Another option I suggest is for clients to book a double block of time or book a full-hour session to ensure the delivery of quality photographs.
Can I get individual photos of siblings?
Individual photos will not be taken due to the limited mini-sessions time. However, I will be sure to capture family & a separate photo of the siblings together!
What types of photography can I have in a mini session?
Mini sessions are great for Headshots, Family & Maternity
Can I do a mini session for newborn photos?
No, newborn sessions must be booked for a full session. You can view the collections here.
Can I change outfits during the mini session?
Due to limited time, outfit changing can not be done. However, if it a cardigan or a jacket then it’s fine.
Do I need an occasion to book?
Absolutely not! I like to think that the mini session itself is a special occasion! Whether you’d like beautiful photos of your children, memoirs of maternity, a new baby, the entire family together, couples, friends, or just beautiful images of you
How do I pay for my session?
The non-refundable session fee paid in full is due upfront to reserve a block of time for your session. Payments may be made by Venmo or PayPal.
Do I get a DVD of images?
A DVD of images after your session is not provided; however, you can purchase. An email will be sent with details 7-10 days from your mini session when your gallery is ready for viewing. After that, you will be able to view your gallery of watermarked images to a private online viewing and ordering gallery where you may select & purchase.
What to Wear
Bright colors are lovely & pleasing! However, try choosing outfits with colors that complement each other rather than exact matches for couples and families. Also, refrain from too many busy patterns.
Here are some fabulous tips to add to your wardrobe!
• Create textures! Bright woven scarves, faux furs, knits, bold prints, and interesting fabrics always look fabulous on camera.
• Have fun with the accessories. Heirloom jewelry, scarves, ties, bags, fun shoes, wraps, and hats can add a lot of character and pop tones to a photo. Although many accessories might seem excessive in person, they really show up well in front of the lens. If you’re wondering whether a particular item is a good idea to wear, just ask! We’ll be happy to answer your questions.
• Avoid items that detract from the scene. White socks, oversized men’s watches, plain white t-shirts, and sunglasses, to name a few!
Each mini session lasts about 30 minutes. So be prepared to arrive at least 10 minutes before the start of your scheduled timeslot to get the family settled in and ready for picture taking. In about 1-2 weeks, I will post a private online gallery of 30-40 hand-retouched images. In addition, you may order gift prints & products. Please don’t hesitate to contact us if you have any questions or special requests!
Six Tips for a Smooth Mini-Session
- What to wear or not to wear, that is the big question! It is best to have your outfits ready to go several days in advance. Take plenty of time to try them on. You want them to look and feel great (I have more on this below). Doing this in advance will alleviate stress as picture day approaches.
- Make sure you and your family are well rested! Go to bed early, if possible, the night before. Kids and adults both need their beauty sleep. A well-rested family is a family that is ready to rock out their photoshoot.
- Amp it up. I love making the session enjoyable for your child. Have them mentally prepared for the whole process. You can talk to them about how much fun it will be. Tell them you will be meeting our new friend (Dusty). You can tell them about my fun & cool camera, reflector, and equipment. Tell them how famous people go to photoshoots and make it interest them! The sky is the limit here.
- A little bribe never hurt anybody, right? Bring a snack (no messy snacks), favorite toy, noisemaker, blanket, basically anything that makes your child(ren) happy! We can use these as rewards for a job well done or just to get that perfect shot. My research shows that this will sometimes work on your spouse, too! 🙂
- Top mistake alert: I HIGHLY recommend coming with a full belly. Waiting until after our photoshoot can cause significant problems. A hungry child, spouse, or even yourself probably won’t enjoy the mini-session and have irritability. Keep your clothes photo-ready and clean by dressing for the shoot after eating.
- Because I book mini-sessions back-to-back, there is no space for wiggle room. Plan on being here ten minutes early! Being here early ensures you are ready to go when it is your turn. I want to be respectful of everyone’s time and make the most out of your beautiful family’s photographs!
Five Stylish Tips to Look Amazing in Your Mini-Session!
Some of my mini-sessions are holiday or special theme-based. You will have the chance to dress to the occasion and get creative with costumes, colors, and accessories. Let’s check out these excellent suggestions on what you and your family could wear to be picture perfect:
Coordinate your outfits, but don’t match. Choose a simple color palette and go from there.
- This will give everyone the option to pick an outfit of their own but still be subtle and fit the scene.
- Avoid logos. This includes crazy prints and patterns! It will bring unwanted attention to the outfit and cause awful distortions to appear on the photograph that is not originally there.
Tone down the bright colors. Vivid shades tend to reflect and bring attention away from the face.
- Darker clothing tends to blend better with backgrounds and slenderize the subject.
- Light or neutral colors can look appealing and fresh.
- Avoid wearing plain whites if you fear not looking slender in your photos. Instead, pair it with a jacket or scarf, and you will be good to go!
- Hair, makeup, and nails: Keep it simple. If you want your hair to be out of the way and not fall in your face, I recommend having it up and out of your eyes. For makeup, make sure it won’t rub off onto your outfit. Your nails should be nicely manicured, and no chipped nail polish.
- Accessorize! This brings visual interest to your look and makes it appealing. For jewelry, try a necklace to compliment your neckline or bracelets accentuating your outfit. You could think outside the box and try a hat or suspenders to bring the extra wow factor! Some accessories add variety and may be used as props.
Post-Mini-Session: What Comes After
Let’s discuss the turnaround on receiving your images. Typically, it will take 1-2 weeks to receive your images.
I will share a teaser of your session on social media. However, I do respect your privacy so be sure to let me know if you do not want your images shared.
You will view your gallery of 30-40 edited images and choose Five digital images within 7-10 business days. You also have the option to purchase additional digital images, prints & products.
After your images are all complete, it is time to book your next mini-session! Book ahead and save with our early bird offer. All pre-planned minis are discounted at 10% if booked within 2 weeks of your previous mini session!